Most of the time you feel exhausted and because of this, you are unable to do your daily chores. You found yourself more than just tired and lack the energy to do the work, this condition is known as fatigue. Fatigue can make it hard for you to get out of your bed and prevent you from fulfilling your daily tasks. You may get irritated and sometimes feel physically inactive. Lack of energy and fatigue may be due to many reasons including, lack of sleep, unhealthy diet, physical inactivity, etc. You need energy for doing the work and want to enjoy doing it. However, if you want to boost your energy you can take the very first step by changing your daily routine and lifestyle which makes you feel energetic and reduces your fatigue. Let’s see how?
All about Fatigue
Fatigue is just the condition in which you feel more than tired and find yourself lacking in energy. Most of the time you feel sluggish when you wake up in the morning. This may be due to your lack of sleep and may also be one of the causes of fatigue, which shows that you are lacking energy. Energy is very important as your body needs energy for proper functioning and from this, you can do your work.
Types of Fatigue:
It is found that fatigue is basically of two types; physical and mental
- Physical fatigue: when you find difficulty in doing physical work such as climbing the stairs, running, etc. comes under physical fatigue. This includes symptoms like muscle weakness, which can be diagnosed by a complete strength test.
- Mental fatigue: when you find difficulty in concentrating on things and staying focused. And also you may feel sleepy or have difficulty staying awake while working.
Is sleepiness or fatigue the same?
When you feel sleepy it can be due to not getting enough sleep. This can be a symptom of health conditions like sleep apnea or restless legs syndrome. You can treat this sleepiness by having good sleep or regular and consistent sleep. On the other hand, fatigue is related to having a health condition known as chronic fatigue syndrome.
Symptoms of fatigue mainly include exhaustion with physical and mental activity. But there are other symptoms as well which include-
- Drowsiness in daytime
- Aching or sore muscles
- Irritability or moody
- Problems in vision, such as blurry vision
- Difficulty in concentration or learning new tasks
- Lack of motivation
- Gastrointestinal problems include bloating, abdominal pain, and diarrhea.
Reasons of having fatigue:
- Mental health issues – fatigue can be caused by many mental health issues including, stress, anxiety, boredom, eating disorders, emotional exhaustion, and life events, such as getting a divorce.
- Metabolic reasons and endocrine – sometimes your health conditions and hormones get affected which causes fatigue. These health conditions include; kidney disease, diabetes, thyroid conditions, pregnancy, and hormonal contraception, such as birth control pills.
- Medications and drugs – certain drugs and medications can cause fatigue which includes; steroids, sedatives, antidepressants, antihistamines, and anxiety medications. You need to know that if you cut out the medication between the treatments it can also cause fatigue.
- Heart and lung-related conditions – these conditions can affect your blood flow in the body which leads to fatigue. These conditions include; pneumonia, asthma, coronary heart disease, arrhythmias, and valvular heart disease.
- Problems in sleeping – sleep factors can also cause fatigue that includes; late working, working shifts, jet lag, sleep apnea, insomnia, and narcolepsy.
- Certain infections – infections can cause extreme tiredness which includes; malaria, tuberculosis, HIV (Human Immunodeficiency Virus), flu, and hepatitis.
- Being underweight or overweight – can increase the risk of having diabetes, and sleep apnea because of being overweight which may cause fatigue. Also, if you are carrying more weight you may experience joint or muscle pain which leads to fatigue. On the other hand, if you are underweight you may get tired easily because of the condition you have which may cause fatigue as well.
- Too much physical inactivity – if you are lacking the energy you are unable to do physical exercise which also causes fatigue. And a lack of exercise can make you face difficulty in performing physical work.
Ways to boost your energy and reduce fatigue
Most of you have the feeling of tiredness and are worn out at the end of the day. And because of that, you are not even interested in very small enjoyable things like the new movie, fabulous shoe sale, etc. they did not give you any kind of happiness or joy. Therefore, making a few changes in your lifestyle or daily routine can give a boost to your energy levels and reduce your fatigue. These ways are;
1. Control stress and deal with anger
Due to anxiety, you face stress and this consumes a lot of energy that you are unable to use more and you feel exhausted physically as well as mentally. That is why, you can talk with your friend or relatives, join a support group, or see a psychotherapist, they can help you to control your stress. You can also take relaxing therapies like meditation, and yoga for reducing your stress.
2. Get enough sleep
Most of you can’t get enough sleep due to various reasons like studying for an exam, late-night work, etc. And not getting enough sleep can drain your energy levels and you feel lethargic and tired the next day. Therefore, you need to take at least 7 hours of sleep a night to boost your energy which supports your overall health. 
3. Physical activity
Some experts say that if you increase your physical activity, especially walking, it increases your energy. Because regular exercise is important to reduce the risk of many health conditions including heart disease, type 2 diabetes, and obesity which are directly connected to reducing your energy levels. Therefore, you need to be physically active to boost your energy and reduce fatigue.
4. Quit smoking
The toxins present in the smoke can reduce the efficiency of your lungs. After some time, this can reduce the amount of oxygen transported throughout your body. This makes you feel tired which reduces your energy levels. Therefore, quitting smoking is a better option so that the oxygen transports easily and your energy will boost.
5. Eat nutritious foods
Nutritious foods provide you with various nutrients including vitamins and minerals that your body needs for proper function. On the other hand, eating lots of processed food high in sugar and fat can negatively affect your energy levels as well as your overall health. Therefore, you need to eat a nutritious diet and also not skip your meals as it may also be linked to fatigue, anxiety, and lack of energy.
6. Limit alcohol
Alcohol can make you feel relaxed and helps you fall asleep, but it also interferes with your sleep and reduces the quality of sleep that you need. Moreover, urine production increases by drinking alcohol which interrupts your sleep in the middle of the night. Therefore, you need to limit your alcohol intake especially close to bedtime.
7. Stay hydrated
Water is one of the essential drinks for you and it gives energy. Because sometimes drinking less water causes dehydration and you feel tired and lethargic. Dehydration can reduce your brain function, mood, and energy levels. Therefore, you need to drink water whenever you feel thirsty and stay hydrated. And if you are actively present in the hot climate you must increase your daily intake of water so that it benefits you in many aspects.
8. Connect with people
Good health can be maintained by making social connections. Because if you isolate yourself it may cause your low mood and tiredness mostly as you age. Some studies show that social support gives you improvements in your physical as well as mental health through which you feel energetic and relaxed. You can make social connections by starting a new activity by joining a club or class.
9. Have a cup of coffee
Caffeine helps you to feel energetic, so having a cup of coffee can help in sharpening your mind. And because of this, you used to take coffee daily which can cause insomnia. Therefore, you need to take care of the amount you take because if you consume it in large amounts after 2 pm it can cause insomnia which is not good for your health.
Lack of energy gives you a kind of hindrance to doing the work that you used to do. This tiredness and lack of energy levels lead to fatigue. Several health conditions including diabetes, depression, and chronic pain are the causes of fatigue. Therefore, you need to change your lifestyle so that it benefits you for boosting your energy levels. If your level of tiredness and sleepiness increases you need to see a doctor for that so that your doctor can prescribe you some appropriate treatment options for that.
Disclaimer: “HealthLink.news does not have any intention to provide specific medical advice, but rather to provide its users and/ or the general public with information to better understand their health. All content (including text, graphics, images, information, etc.) provided herein is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice, care, diagnosis, or treatment. HealthLink.news makes no representation and assumes no responsibility/ liability for the accuracy of the information, advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided herein or on its website. NEVER DISREGARD PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE OR DELAY IN SEEKING TREATMENT BECAUSE OF SOMETHING YOU HAVE READ IT HERE OR ACCESSED THROUGH THE HealthLink.news WEBSITE.”