Diabetes and diet
When a person is diagnosed with diabetes, he or she thinks that their food domain is now confined to a particular range. Meaning that they are not able to enjoy different food because they are diabetic. Therefore, they do not enjoy the food. They are scared that if they do not follow a strict diet, they might face life-threatening consequences. But the thing is that they just need to maintain the level of their blood sugar. It is as simple as that. Your main goal is to maintain your blood sugar level.
Therefore, a person includes certain things in his or her diet so he can maintain good health. Some of them are listed below;
- Intake of fatty fish: Getting healthy fats is very vital and important. Salmon sardines, herring, anchovies, and mackerel are good sources of these healthy fats. These fish consist of omega-3 fatty acids DHA and EPA, which are very important for the health of the heart. DHA and EPA protect and help to reduce the markers of inflammation (swelling) and help to maintain the way your arteries function. Fish are one of the great sources of proteins. Moreover, fatty fish acids might help in regulating blood sugar levels a study show supports this statement .
- Green leafy vegetables: vegetables are very necessary, in the case of a person who is diabetic. They become one of the necessary components of the diet. The reason is very simple, they have extreme nutritional value and are low in terms of calories. The best thing about them is that they are low in carbs, which means they do not affect blood sugar levels. Vegetables such as spinach, kale, etc. are very good sources of vitamins as well. Vitamins are important, and, in these vitamins, vitamin c is more important if we talk in terms of diet for a diabetic person. A study shows that people who are diabetic face a lack of vitamin c. Vitamin C not only helps in reducing inflammation but also helps in managing cellular damage.
- Including avocados in your diet: avocados are a very beneficial fruit that you can have to maintain your blood sugar level. It comprises only 1 gram of sugar with few or very less carbohydrates, high fiber content, and lots of healthy fats. Avocados help in maintaining overall diet quality and it significantly reduces the body mass index. They have properties that specifically prevent the chances of diabetes. Therefore, they have become an ideal snack for people who are diagnosed with diabetes.
- Having eggs: eggs are the best source of protein; they reduce the chances of heart disease in several ways. They help in reducing inflammation, improve insulin sensitivity, increase the amount of good cholesterol levels (High-Density Lipoprotein), and change the shape and size of bad cholesterol that is LDL (Low-Density Lipoprotein). A 2019 study found that eating a high-fat, low-carb breakfast of eggs could help people with diabetes manage blood sugar levels throughout the day .
- Chia seeds: chia seeds are high sources of fiber, and they are low in digestible carbs. Therefore, it helps in maintaining the blood sugar level. The viscous fiber in the chia seeds can significantly reduce your blood sugar level by slowing down the rate at which food moves through your gut. A study shows that chia seeds help in controlling weight (obesity) and type 2 diabetes.
Given above are some of the very important foods that a person needs to take if he or she is diagnosed with diabetes. Apart from these foods, there are also foods that are also very important and drastically help in maintaining blood sugar levels. Some of them are listed below;
- Beans: beans are rich in vitamin B. It also contains minerals like calcium, potassium, magnesium, and fibers
- Greek Yoghurt: consists of a high level of calcium, protein, and a special type of fat called conjugated linoleic acid (CLA).
- Nuts: the nuts comprise HbA1c (a marker for long-term blood sugar management), and LDL (bad) cholesterol levels.
- Broccoli: broccoli consists of digestible low carbs, vitamin C, and magnesium.
- Extra-virgin olive oil: extra virgin olive oil is enriched with oleic acid (monounsaturated fat), and it contains antioxidants called polyphenols.
- Flaxseeds: flaxseeds are enriched with heart-healthy omega-3 fats, fiber, and lignans.
- Apple cider vinegar and vinegar: it has properties such as it is antimicrobial and antioxidants.
- Strawberries: consist of high amounts of antioxidants known as anthocyanins as well as being enriched with polyphenols.
- Garlic: garlic is enriched with many beneficial nutritional values such as manganese, vitamin B6, vitamin C, Selenium, and Fiber.
These are some of the foods that are beneficial for a person who is diabetic. One can have all of these foods and can significantly improve the regularity in their blood sugar level.
Is coconut healthy for a diabetic person?
If a person is diagnosed with let’s say type 2 diabetes, he or she might wonder whether coconuts are a good or a bad choice to eat. Because coconuts are enriched with high saturated fat, it can raise the heart disease risk. Now the question comes does it really have any health benefits? The nutritional value of coconut, if we consider the case of a diabetic person, must have a low glycemic index. Glycemic index (GI) is used to measure how different foods affect the blood sugar level in comparison with pure glucose. The range of the glycemic index can be described as;
- Low glycemic index, 1-55
- Medium glycemic index, 56-69
- High glycemic index, 70 or higher
Moreover, to see how the amount of food affects your blood sugar, you need to go for Glycemic Load (GL). GL also has three categories;
- Low glycemic load, 1-10
- Medium glycemic load, 11-19
- High glycemic load, 20 higher
Hence, you need to eat a lot of coconuts to raise your blood sugar level.
What are the types of coconut products?
There are different types of coconuts, for example, coconut flakes, coconut water, coconut milk, coconut sugar, and coconut flour.
- Coconut flakes: coconut flakes or shredded coconut are used in cooking.
- Coconut water: coconut water is the liquid that is found inside the coconut. The coconut water tastes somewhat of a slightly sweet nutty flavor.
- Coconut milk: Coconut milk is a white, milky substance extracted from the flesh of mature coconuts.
- Coconut sugar: Coconut sugar is an all-natural sweetener derived from the sap of coconut palm flowers.
- coconut flour: Coconut flour is a unique alternative to wheat flour. It is popular among low-carb enthusiasts and those who have gluten-related disorders.
The given above items are the different products of coconut. All these products have different dynamics that have their own significance and beneficiary factors.
The benefits of coconut and its products
It is stated that coconut oil is very good for weight loss. It comes under the category of low carbs diet. Secondly, coconut water is considered “nature’s sports beverage,” coconut water is a good source of sugar, electrolytes, and hydration.
Is coconut water high in sugar? Coconut water has a sweet taste due to naturally occurring sugars. Some manufacturers add sugar content to it and that changes its nutritional properties. It is always recommended to go for unsweetened coconut water because it is natural and contains low sugar levels.
Is coconut water good for diabetes? There is research done on the same notion of whether coconut water is good for diabetes or not. The result of the research came out to be positive in response to the statement that the research is conducted on animals, not on humans. Animals fed coconut water had significant improvements in blood sugar, hemoglobin A1C (HbA1c), and oxidative stress, compared with the control group.
In conclusion, we can say that yes, coconut and its by-products such as coconut water, milk, etc. in research conducted on animals shows that they improve the blood sugar level of those animals more concrete research and experimentation are needed in terms of stating the species of humans.
Apart from this coconut water is;
- It is a very good source of several key nutrients.
- It may have antioxidant properties.
- It may help lower the blood sugar level, but the concrete proof is not yet done.
- It may avoid the chances of having kidney stones.
- It helps in maintaining good heart health.
- Natural without any preservatives and the best solution to get hydrated with.
Coconut water is very delicious. It is filled with electrolytes, a natural beverage that may benefit your heart, moderate your blood sugar, help improve kidney health and keep you refreshed and hydrated after a workout.
Although more controlled studies involving humans are needed to confirm many of these qualities.
Disclaimer: “HealthLink.news does not have any intention to provide specific medical advice, but rather to provide its users and/ or the general public with information to better understand their health. All content (including text, graphics, images, information, etc.) provided herein is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice, care, diagnosis, or treatment. HealthLink.news makes no representation and assumes no responsibility/ liability for the accuracy of the information, advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided herein or on its website. NEVER DISREGARD PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE OR DELAY IN SEEKING TREATMENT BECAUSE OF SOMETHING YOU HAVE READ IT HERE OR ACCESSED THROUGH THE HealthLink.news WEBSITE.”