Most of you are likely to sleep on big fluffy pillows. And without them, you find it difficult to sleep. For most people, pillows are their daily need in their sleep while others feel uncomfortable sleeping on pillows. But the thing is that when you sleep on pillows you need to take the right ones as you might have neck pain and back pain using hard pillows. And this may give you the sign of not using it. That is why you need to find the right pillow in the right size so that it should not give you any trouble. The right material for the pillow enhances your quality of sleep. Though pillows provide you the quality of good sleep as they comfort you but sometimes, they may even hurt your health in many ways. Let us see the benefits and side effects of using the wrong pillows.
So, as we know that sleep is important for anybody as without proper sleep our body cannot function properly. Good sleep will make you feel energetic and productive after waking up. One of the factors that influence sleep is using good and medicated pillows. Medicated pillows are those that are approved by orthopedics. Some companies manufacture these types of pillows for people who face problems while sleeping. These problems can be related to the usage of the correct pillow. As some pillows that are made up of hard material can result in neck pain or even cause neck injury after prolonged usage. Whereas there are pillows that are too soft which can also cause problems. Thus, you can choose the right ones with the right size and material.
Why do you use pillows?
Most people use pillows because of the uncomfortable mattress which is hard on your face and head. As mattresses come in various types including comfortable, soft, and hard as well. That is why in this condition, you usually use pillows as they provide you with a comfortable position. However, you need to choose the right ones which are not so soft or not so hard. Otherwise, it creates problems and hurts your health.
Does the wrong pillow hurt your health?
Pillows are used to keep your spine in a neutral position. They give your neck support with the rest of your body and provide you with good posture. If you are not using pillows that are not firm, they may cause back and neck pain.
Following are the harmful effects you can face from using the wrong pillow: 
- Sleep apnea is the condition in which your breathing stops during sleeping which can be caused by using the wrong pillow. As you are using hard pillows which do not give support to your neck and may cause irregular breathing problems.
- Insomnia: you can be uncomfortable while sleeping which may cause insomnia because it interrupts your sleep. And when this is being done continuously, it may increase the chances of insomnia. Also, insomnia affects your mood, appetite, thinking ability, etc.
- Neck stiffness: using a pillow that does not support your neck firmly can directly affect your spine and neck. And it may lead to a permanent neck problem.
How can sleeping without a pillow provide you with benefits?
Your way of sleeping plays a role in getting better sleep. That is why not using pillows can be beneficial in many ways which include:
- Good posture- pillows are used to align your neck with the rest of your body and lead to give a good posture. Depending on the position you take while sleeping also helps in having a good sleep. When you sleep without a pillow it can keep your head flat which reduces your stress and promotes better alignment. However, this does not apply to other sleeping positions. That is why you need to take the right positions when you are not using pillows.
- Alleviate neck pain– when you are sleeping on your stomach, your head is turned to the side and your neck is also being extended backward. This position causes you pain and discomfort. That is why, when you use a pillow, it may increase the angle of your neck pain. Therefore, you may decrease the level of pain and discomfort by not using pillows.
- Good for hair- the materials of your pillows also make your hair healthy. Some studies show that cotton pillowcase absorbs your natural hair oils which makes your hair frizzy. On the other hand, a silk pillowcase is better for your hair.
Drawbacks of not using pillows:
Despite of benefits of sleeping without a pillow, there are some other drawbacks as well which include:
- Poor posture: as you can see, not using a pillow when you sleep on your stomach makes your spine in a neutral position. But it will be difficult for your spine to be neutral as your weight is mostly in the center of your body. That is why, for better posture while sleeping on your stomach, put a pillow under your stomach and pelvis. This will help in decreasing the pressure on your spine.
- Neck pain: not using a pillow when you are a stomach sleeper helps your neck. But as you are not fully asleep on your stomach you also change positions and turn to the side. This position can strain your neck joints and muscles and cause neck pain.
How to choose and use the best pillow for neck pain?
Most of you make a mistake in choosing a pillow. Mostly, the pillows you are using bends your neck forward or to one side. These can be comfortable at first, but when you sleep for hours, your neck does not support the entire body and causes neck pain. And when you are in pain it may lead to many neck problems. That is why you need to choose pillows that are neck-friendly which include:
- Pillows that adapt to your body– the pillows that adapt to your body are cervical contour pillows in which your head rests in a depression in the center. This helps in fulfilling the neck requirements for reducing your neck pain.
- Pillows are made of latex foam– latex foam makes you cooler and provides you with deep sleep. As natural latex does not make you feel hot and uncomfortable as compared to memory foam. Though, some of you are allergic to latex and use memory foam pillows.
- Avoid feather pillows- feather pillows are affordable and super comfortable, but they do not provide better support to your neck. When you use it at first it gives a kind of support but when the feathers move it does not give support leading to neck pain. However, you can use down pillows with some fluffing, it does not hurt your neck.
- Use body and side pillows for support- instead of using head pillows, you can use body and side pillows because they improve your sleeping posture. During pregnancy, these pillows help in keeping your spine aligned and support your growing belly.
Does the condition of your bed make you comfortable?
Not only does the sleep position matter for better sleep, but the condition of your bed also matters when it comes to having a good night’s sleep. That is why you need to consider these things for making your bedroom comfortable:
- Clean sheets- frequent washing of sheets and vacuuming of mattresses help the bed to get rid of dust, decrease the cause of allergies, and impair your sleep.
- Close the curtains- make sure to keep the room dim at night. This makes your sleep health, and you can sleep comfortably.
- Location– keep your bed in that position where you are not distracted by a desk stacked with work or a blinking light.
Other tips you can take for better sleep include:
- Exercise: regular exercise for 20 to 30 minutes can help you to sleep better. But avoid doing intensive exercise before going to bed.
- New mattress: if your mattress is old, you can face sleep issues. That is why try to change the mattresses after 9 to 10 years. And choose comfortable and supportive mattresses.
- Limit alcohol: due to the sedative effect of alcohol, it can disrupt your sleep patterns. But drinking alcohol before bed may increase the risk of snoring and sleep apnea.
- Avoid large meals before bedtime: spicy or large meals before going to bed cause indigestion which disrupts your sleep.
Thus, we can say that pillows are your daily requirement, especially when you sleep. You use pillows as they are comfortable and make your sleep cozy. But the thing is that you need to keep that in mind about your sleep position and the type of pillow you are using. Because the wrong pillow causes you several conditions like back and neck pain. This may hurt your health. That is why you need to consider your sleeping position as well as the right pillow that you can consider for better sleep.
Disclaimer: “HealthLink.news does not have any intention to provide specific medical advice, but rather to provide its users and/ or the general public with information to better understand their health. All content (including text, graphics, images, information, etc.) provided herein is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice, care, diagnosis, or treatment. HealthLink.news makes no representation and assumes no responsibility/ liability for the accuracy of the information, advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided herein or on its website. NEVER DISREGARD PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE OR DELAY IN SEEKING TREATMENT BECAUSE OF SOMETHING YOU HAVE READ IT HERE OR ACCESSED THROUGH THE HealthLink.news WEBSITE.”