Our body requires a good amount of sleep because it needs to perform different types of work. Sleep is essential like doing exercise and maintaining a diet. Insufficient and improper sleep can directly affect the nervous system as well as the overall productivity of an individual.
Insufficient sleep also results in gaining weight. Moreover, it increases the risk of getting the disease in both adults and children. If we talk about it in contrast, having good sleep will result in providing many beneficial aspects. For instance, it helps you to eat less, it helps you to exercise better, and it also results in maintaining one’s health conditions. If somebody is continuously facing the problem of improper sleep, they are going into sleep debt. Sleep debt is a condition in which a person does not get the amount of sleep their body needs, they only get the amount of sleep they provide to their body. Therefore, a person must have the good amount of sleep that their body needs. If a person is in a sleep debt condition, he or she can repay this debt by increasing the sleep time each night until feels caught up.
Why does sleep deterioration happen?
Sleep deterioration happens because of several reasons. Some of them are listed below;
- Decreased exposure to bright light during the day. – it is known that people who are not properly exposed to bright light or daily sunlight, can get sleep deterioration. A proper and adequate amount of daily sunlight exposure is important to remain healthy. Because it improves sleep quality and duration by maintaining human circadian rhythm.
- Excessive blue light exposure – if you are heavily exposed to blue light then it results in making your circadian rhythm improper. And because of that, you cannot have the proper amount of sleep. Blue light simply manipulates the mind to think of nighttime as daytime. And its excessive exposure can also damage your sight.
- Excessive caffeine consumption during the day – people who consume excessive caffeine might face the worst sleep quality especially if caffeine intake is in the evening or late in the night.
- Having irregular or long daytime naps – people who nap irregularly during the day get affected by the improper sleeping pattern because of which the sleep quality gets affected and hence it results in sleep deterioration. Therefore, long daytime naps can result in the impairment of sleep quality thus it is advisable to shorten the naps during the day or stop napping.
- Improper ‘heading to bed and rising time’ – people who are not maintaining a proper sleeping schedule might cause problems with their circadian rhythm. The circadian rhythm is like a body clock. Circadian rhythm aligns itself with sunrise as well as sunset. Therefore, not having a proper sleeping pattern or schedule directly deteriorates sleep quality.
- Supplements to counter sleep problems – people who are facing different types of sleeping disorders or problems, need to consult with their medical experts and follow their prescription. Sometimes, people can take supplements that enhance sleep quality. One of the major supplements that are responsible for enhancing sleep quality is melatonin. Melatonin is a key sleep hormone. It helps and tells your brain when it is time to sleep. It is an effortless way that improves sleep quality and helps to fall asleep faster. Apart from melatonin, there are other supplements as well. For instance, supplements named lavender, magnesium, glycine, etc. all come under the category of sleeping supplements. They help in improving sleep quality.
- Excessive consumption of alcohol – if you drink excessive amounts of alcohol at night, it can create problems for you. Consumption of alcohol at night can negatively affect your sleep and hormones. Alcohol is responsible for creating improper sleep patterns. Therefore, it is recommended to avoid the consumption of alcohol at night or before heading to bed, as it can reduce the nighttime and is also responsible for the inadequate production of melatonin that in results cause disrupted sleep patterns.
- Improper bedroom environment – the improper bedroom environment also plays a very vital role in sleep quality. Several factors in a bedroom affect the sleep of a person. These factors include temperature, noise, external and internal lighting, furniture, etc. The sleeping mattress is also important. If a person does not have a proper sleeping mattress, they can not only face sleeping problems, but they might face some physical impairment as well. People who are negatively exposed to these factors face sleep deterioration. Therefore, it is advisable to eliminate all the inconvenient factors that are present in the bedroom so you can have a proper and healthy sleep.
- Eating too late – people who eat too late in the night, or in the evening are more prone to sleep deterioration problems. Apart from this, consuming a large meal before heading to bed can also lead to poor sleep quality and hormone imbalance. However, if a person keeps track of their eating habits, they can easily reduce the chances of sleep deterioration.
- Inadequate physical activity – exercising and physical activity are important, therefore, if a person is not doing an adequate amount of physical activity or exercise, he or she can face sleep deterioration problems. Therefore, you need to exercise regularly but do keep in mind that you do not exercise before heading to bed. Exercise is helpful; it can reduce the chances of having a sleep disorder named insomnia. It also helps in maintaining good health conditions. Therefore, regular exercise during the daytime is beneficial and it is considered one of the best ways to have a good night’s sleep.
- Drinking a lot of liquids before heading to bed – the problem of nocturia can be seen if a person drinks too much liquid before heading to bed. Nocturia is a state in which after consuming excessive liquid, excessive urination takes place. Thus, it affects the sleep quality of an individual. No doubt hydration is important, but it is recommended to drink liquids in proper amounts or in an adequate amount. Moreover, use the bathroom before heading to bed to have proper sleep without any disturbance.
Tips to enhance sleep quality
- Limit the blue light – you need to limit your blue light usage. If you limit your blue light usage that will help in maintaining sleep quality.
- Take power naps instead of long daytime naps – power naps are beneficial for your health but having long daytime naps can cause irregularities in sleep patterns.
- Use good bedding that includes mattresses and pillows – always use good bedding. Good quality bedding is directly proportional to good quality sleep. It is known that the body requires comfort, therefore, one needs to provide that comfort to enhance their sleep quality.
- Have a proper sleeping routine – you need to maintain a proper sleep routine. Set the clock for both, head to bed, and wake up. This will help you to enhance your sleep quality.
- Set your circadian rhythm properly – having a proper sleeping routine results in having a proper circadian rhythm. Proper circadian rhythm results in better sleep quality.
- Workout wisely – you need to choose your workout timings and workout routine very wisely. Always try to do physical exercise during the daytime. This will enhance sleep quality and results in better health as well.
- Limit the caffeine intake – if you are addicted to caffeine then limit the caffeine intake or limit the intake of caffeine before heading to bed. Limiting caffeine intake will result in having proper sleep.
- Limit the consumption of alcohol – you also need to limit the consumption of alcohol as excessive alcohol consumption can cause disruption in sleeping patterns.
- Consult with doctors if you see any type of sleeping disorder symptoms – if you think that you are facing any type of sleeping disorder, it is recommended to consult with medical experts. Moreover, you can also take supplements that help to increase sleep quality. But always take any type of prescription or supplement only after consulting with your doctors.
- Get comfortable clothing – wear comfortable cloth before heading to bed for optimum comfort results and thus better sleep quality.
- Avoid watching tv, eating, and discussing emotional issues while heading to bed – always avoid eating, watching TV, and or discussing emotional issues before heading to bed as it can cause disruption and affect the quality of sleep.
Disclaimer: “HealthLink.news does not have any intention to provide specific medical advice, but rather to provide its users and/ or the general public with information to better understand their health. All content (including text, graphics, images, information, etc.) provided herein is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice, care, diagnosis, or treatment. HealthLink.news makes no representation and assumes no responsibility/ liability for the accuracy of the information, advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided herein or on its website. NEVER DISREGARD PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE OR DELAY IN SEEKING TREATMENT BECAUSE OF SOMETHING YOU HAVE READ IT HERE OR ACCESSED THROUGH THE HealthLink.news WEBSITE.”