Your child is very precious to you. And their safety is your utmost priority. Not giving the proper amount of attention to them can lead to disastrous things that you do not want to imagine. It is also known that children mostly get injured at home as compared to other places.
Hence you need to give them proper attention and always think about their safety because they are too small, and they need someone to take care of them.
There are ways in which you can avoid scenarios that can harm you and your loved one. Sometimes people often go childproof their homes. Childproofing a home means that, setting a parameter for your loved ones. It means that they are not able to get outside of the house and cannot get inside in certain rooms which are not meant for them or are not childproof.
How can you childproof your home?
Childproofing involves covering and ensuring the proper safety measures on doors and windows. You can always use the doorknob cover to prevent your toddler from opening them. You can place them on each door of your home. Apart from that, you can also use child safety locks on windows and closet doors.
Childproofing becomes important and prominent when your little one starts moving. That means when he or she gets mobile, they start to move around the house by crawling or by walking. There are certain things that you need to focus on when you are considering childproofing your home. Some of them are listed below.
- Using outlet covers is important, they are made of plastic. These outlet covers are used to cover electrical outlets and switches. These covers prevent your child from getting an electric shock from the electric socket and hence reduce the risk of electrocution.
- Put cleaning chemicals and disinfectants out of your child’s reach: chemicals and disinfectants are dangerous and harmful for your child. You need to make sure that you keep them out of reach of your children. Moreover, you can always use child safety locks on cabinets and drawers to avoid unwanted exposure.
- Installing locks and covers you need to install the locks and cover on your cabinet and drawers as well. Locking cabinets and drawers are important because certain items can be harmful and dangerous to them. They might swallow items or things such as.
- Kitchen and bathroom cleaners
- Laundry detergent
- Lawn and garden chemicals
- Sharp objects like knives, scissors, or garden shear.
Hence to maintain a safe range between these things and your child it is advisable to use safety locks. There are certain locks that you can use.
- You can use cabinet and drawer latches: A latch is a device that automatically locks the cabinet or drawer in which they are installed. It is very easy to install and can get screwed inside the drawers and cabinets.
- Flex locks for cabinets: A flex lock is a simple device used to lock cabinets and drawers. It gets attached to cabinet handles or knobs to keep them close. So, your child will not be able to open it.
- Magnetic locks for cabinets and drawers: Magnetic locks are used to lock doors of cabinets, closets, or drawers. They require the key to open and they are difficult to get installed as well.
- Use cordless drapes and blinds: using cordless drapes and blinds is a very ideal and prominent thing one can go for. Sometimes when children sit near the window and they see cords hanging out of those drapes and blinds, they try to catch them or grab them and sometimes they get themselves strangled because of the same reason as well. Hence you can avoid this scenario by using cordless drapes or blinds. You can use blinds that do not have cords in them. You can also use drapes or blinds which can be operated wirelessly.
- Putting unwanted furniture away: you always need to take care of furniture or objects which can harm your little one. There are objects such as L-shaped brackets, unused nails, etc. These objects can cause serious problems for your little one. Your toddler wants to explore their surroundings hence if they contact these objects, they might hurt themselves. Sometimes when your child starts to climb on furniture such as shelves etc. There is a problem when they try to climb on them, they can pull the whole furniture on them and get themselves hurt. Therefore, you need to make them tightly screwed to the walls or on the ground to avoid such accidents.
- Locking windows: windows are one of the riskiest and most deadly things for toddlers. The risk of falling out of them is very high. When your child can move and can stick their head out of them, they become life-threatening for them. People sometimes put window film to keep bugs and flies out. But these films will not be able to hold your baby’s force. Hence, these films cannot be trusted, and proper safety measures should be installed on windows. You can follow the tips given below to childproof your windows:
- First, you need to make sure that the windows cannot get wide open for a child to crawl through.
- If you have windows that can get opened in different parts, then always open the top part of the windows.
- People often have windows with locks, you can use the locking system of windows to avoid any type of life-threatening mishaps.
- It is recommended that you never put any type of furniture in front of the windows. When your toddler starts to walk, they explore their surroundings and if they find the chance they can easily climb on that furniture and get exposed to the window very easily.
- If you have any broken or damaged windows, you need to repair them.
You can also use different types of locking options in windows. These options include window guards, window wedges, and super stoppers.
- Window guards: window guards are simple tools. They are horizontal bars with a side post, and they go inside the window frame.
- Window wedges: window wedges can be classified as a type of “doorstoppers.” You can easily install them anywhere near the edge of the window. Therefore, they can only be opened to a certain height or width.
- Super Stoppers: this is a complex tool; it is a device with a 1.25-inch by 2-inch three-tiered wedge positioned inside of a large flexible suction cup. They also allow the opening of a window to a certain point.
People who are living around some water bodies:
If you and your family lived near some water body like a swimming pool, lake, or creek. It is important and necessary that you never leave your child unattended in those areas. Moreover, if you have a swimming pool, you can cover the whole perimeter with good fencing.
Be mindful about your medications:
People get tired and frustrated and they forget what they need to do. When you have a child, you need to pay very great attention to their safety, their growth, and their development as well. There are drugs apart from abusable drugs or narcotics drugs. These drugs can cause real harm to your loved one if he or she is left unattended in the presence of that drug. You also need to. “Keep only small amounts accessible to the whole family. Store them in a safe, locked-in area, even if children are older.”
At the end of this article, we came to realize how you can make our home childproof and what measures you need to take for it. Because your child is your utmost priority and you need to give them the amount of priority, they need from you. Never leave them unattended in places that are unknown to you and your toddlers. Moreover, let them explore themselves but allow them to do so in a cool, calm, and precise environment. Be cautious and follow all the guidelines and you can make your home childproof.
Disclaimer: “HealthLink.news does not have any intention to provide specific medical advice, but rather to provide its users and/ or the general public with information to better understand their health. All content (including text, graphics, images, information, etc.) provided herein is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice, care, diagnosis, or treatment. HealthLink.news makes no representation and assumes no responsibility/ liability for the accuracy of the information, advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided herein or on its website. NEVER DISREGARD PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE OR DELAY IN SEEKING TREATMENT BECAUSE OF SOMETHING YOU HAVE READ IT HERE OR ACCESSED THROUGH THE HealthLink.news WEBSITE.”