Most of us consume various types of teas in our daily routine. And we love sipping tea, especially in the morning after waking up. Tea comes in varieties of forms depending upon our requirements we all consume them. One of the teas that are best known for their health benefits is herbal tea. Herbal trees have been found around for centuries. People consume them regularly and benefit from the contents present in them. However, herbal teas are not considered true teas which include green tea, black tea, and oolong tea. As genuine tears are brewed from the leaves of the plant. While herbal teas are made from dried fruits, flowers, spices, or herbs. Herbal teas have various types, rich in nutrients that give you many health benefits. One such herbal tea that we will discuss is lemongrass tea. Let’s see what potential health benefits we can get from it.
Various types of tea are found of which some are true ones and others are herbal ones. It is our choice what kind of tea we prefer according to our requirements and taste. For most of you, tea is not just a refreshment drink but it is one of the essential drinks that can give you the energy to do your daily activities. As some of you prefer drinking tea in the morning just after waking up, some prefer to drink before bed, etc. so depending upon the need we take it according to it. One such tea that is rich in nutrients and provides you with health benefits is herbal tea.
Herbal teas are those teas that are made from dried flowers, fruits, spices, or herbs. As they are made from such things, they can come in a wide range of tastes and flavors which can work as an alternative to sugary beverages. Despite being delicious, some herbal teas have such properties that help you to promote good health including lemongrass tea, chamomile tea, peppermint tea, and others. All these have health benefits including reducing the risk of certain health conditions like high blood pressure, diabetes, anxiety, cancer, colds, etc.
What are the different types of herbal teas?
There are various types of herbal teas found. Some of them are listed below:
- Chamomile tea- is one of the most used teas for sleeping aid. And is well known for its calming properties. It may also help you in relieving your premenstrual symptoms like cramps, and also help in controlling your high blood lipid, blood sugar, and insulin levels.
- Peppermint tea- is one of the most used herbal teas all over the world. It is used to relieve digestive problems. Several studies show that peppermint oil can help relieve nausea, cramping, spasms, and stomach pain.
- Ginger tea- is one of the common remedies that is used in treating nausea. It is also found that ginger tea can help in relieving your period pain, and also provides you benefits by controlling your blood sugar and blood lipid levels.
- Hibiscus tea- this tea is made from the colorful flowers of the hibiscus plant. It is best used in lowering high blood pressure and also fights oxidative stress. However, you need to avoid this tea if you are taking diuretic medication or at the same time as aspirin.
- Echinacea tea- is one of the popular remedies that is used to prevent and shorten the duration of the common cold. Because it helps in boosting your immune system through which you can fight off bacteria and viruses.
- Rooibos tea- is made from the leaves of the red bush plant. It is found that rooibos tea helps in improving your bone health, reducing the risk of heart disease.
- Sage tea- this tea has various medicinal properties like it improves your cognitive function and memory. Also, it is found that sage tea protects you against the development of colon cancer and benefits your heart health.
What is lemongrass tea?
Lemongrass is a plant that looks like grass which is tall and stalky. It is also known as citronella. Lemongrass has a lemony aroma and a citrus flavor. It is a common ingredient that is used in Southeast Asian cooking. It is best known as a natural remedy for treating digestive problems, neurological problems, and high blood pressure. It has antibacterial and antifungal properties which help in relieving pain and reducing fever. Lemongrass extract provides a fresh scent that is used in many soaps, candles, disinfectants, and insect repellents. However, it is best known for using it in tea. Moreover, lemongrass essential oil is also used in aromatherapy, which helps freshen your air, reduce stress, and uplift your mood.
Nutritional value of lemongrass:
When you take one ounce (1 ounce) of lemongrass it also contains these nutrients;
- Calories: 30
- Protein: 1 gram
- Fat: 0 grams
- Carbohydrates: 7 grams
- Fiber: 0 grams
- Sugar: 0 grams
lemongrass also contains iron, calcium, and vitamin C.
What are the different health benefits you get from lemongrass?
Lemongrass is a rich source of flavonoids and phenolic compounds, which contain antioxidants. It also has antibacterial and antifungal properties. When you consume lemongrass tea, it benefits you in many ways. Like it helps in weight loss, reduces blood sugar levels, and is a good supplement for treating diabetes.
Here are some of the potential benefits of lemongrass are listed below 
Inflammation plays a vital role in many conditions including heart disease and stroke. Lemongrass contains a flavonoid named quercetin. This flavonoid provides anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory benefits by reducing inflammation. And this may help in reducing the growth of cancer cells and also prevents heart disease.
High cholesterol is one of the health conditions that increase the risk of heart attack and stroke. When you consume lemongrass tea, the extract of it reduces your cholesterol level. Though, your reduction in cholesterol level depends upon your dose. This means that if you take lemongrass tea in large quantities it might lower your cholesterol level.
Aid weight loss
Lemongrass tea contains low calories which help in losing weight. Also, this tea fills you up which prevents you from overeating. Tea can be used as a detox which kick-starts your metabolism and contributes to weight loss. And since lemongrass works as a natural diuretic, if you drink it enough you will likely drop some weight.
Anxiety has become common and it is found in everyone’s life. Lemon grass has calming properties and if you sip it you will find this tea to be relaxing. This will help in reducing anxiety. Also, some people inhale lemongrass essential oil which helps in relieving their stress and anxiety.
Lemongrass tea has antimicrobial properties which help in treating oral infections and cavities. Some studies found that lemongrass inhibits the growth of bacteria named Streptococcus sanguinis which is responsible for tooth decay.
Reduce the risk of cancer
Lemongrass contains a compound named citral, which has anticancer abilities. Which induces the cell growth of cancer in the case of breast cancer. Also, sometimes lemongrass tea is used as an adjuvant therapy during chemotherapy and radiation.
Reduce high blood pressure
Lemongrass is a traditional remedy for hypertension. It is found that you are more likely to experience a moderate drop in your high blood pressure if you drink lemongrass tea. However, green tea works the same but lemongrass gives you a much better result.
Promote healthy digestion
It is found that if you drink a cup of lemongrass tea it helps you in relieving from upset stomach, stomach cramping, and other digestive issues. Also, some studies show that it can be effective in treating gastric ulcers.
Relieve symptoms of PMS
Lemongrass helps in relieving premenstrual syndrome (PMS) symptoms including menstrual cramps, bloating, and hot flashes. Due to its diuretic effects, it can be beneficial in relieving the symptoms of PMS which is bloating.
Are there any risks and side effects of lemongrass?
Potential Side effects: Lemongrass is generally considered safe to use. However, some side effects can be found that include; dizziness, increased hunger, dry mouth, increased urination, and tiredness.
- Allergies- some people may be allergic to lemongrass. Therefore, if you find any symptoms of allergic reactions such as rash, itching, difficulty breathing, and rapid heart rate, you need to get emergency help for that.
- Pregnancy- it is found that pregnant women need to avoid lemongrass because it can cause a miscarriage.
- Other conditions- you should avoid lemongrass if you take prescription diuretics, have a low heart rate, and have low potassium levels.
Disclaimer: “HealthLink.news does not have any intention to provide specific medical advice, but rather to provide its users and/ or the general public with information to better understand their health. All content (including text, graphics, images, information, etc.) provided herein is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice, care, diagnosis, or treatment. HealthLink.news makes no representation and assumes no responsibility/ liability for the accuracy of the information, advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided herein or on its website. NEVER DISREGARD PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE OR DELAY IN SEEKING TREATMENT BECAUSE OF SOMETHING YOU HAVE READ IT HERE OR ACCESSED THROUGH THE HealthLink.news WEBSITE.”