What Are Chia Seeds?
Chia seeds are considered to be the healthiest source of essential nutrients despite being very tiny in size. When it comes to talking about chia seeds there is nothing like side effects we can talk about as it only has its own benefits.
Health Benefits of Chia Seeds
- Massive amount of nutritional value – Chia seeds are derived from the plant Salvia hispanica which is in connection with mint. Aztecs and Mayans considered chia seeds to be the most healthy and important food back then. They also awarded chia seeds for the amount of strength and nutrition they provide as the name chia itself means strength which is derived from the ancient Mayan word. These days chia seeds are in demand as modern food despite being so ancient. In ancient times people used to consume chia as a staple dietary food. They have recently hit popular all over the world and are consumed by health-conscious people. Their size does not define their value so one must not go on their size as a little number of chia seeds have their own nutritional value which is mentioned below.
A one-ounce (28 grams) serving of chia seeds contains:
- Fiber: 11 grams.
- Protein: 4 grams.
- Fat: 9 grams (5 of which are omega-3s).
- Calcium: 18% of the RDI.
- Manganese: 30% of the RDI.
- Magnesium: 30% of the RDI.
- Phosphorus: 27% of the RDI.
- They also contain a small amount of zinc,
vitamin B3 (niacin), potassium, vitamin B1 (thiamine) and vitamin B2.
Imagine how mesmerizing it is just to have so much in just one ounce. What if we will consume two tablespoons in a day? It will have a number of benefits with just 137 calories and a one-gram digestible carb. Moreover, if we consider subtracting the fiber-rich part then chia seeds will come out will a lesser number of calories that is 101 calories per 28 grams only. Isn’t it amazing? Yes. That is why chia seeds are considered to be the most amazing whole grain and organic food in the world. Also, chia seeds are gluten-free and non-GMO.
2. Full of antioxidants – Chia seeds not only cover the nutritional benefits but are also loaded with antioxidants that protect sensitive fats from being decomposed. What else be best than receiving antioxidants from food? Of course, nothing because in the end, we all worry about positive health effects on our body, and chia seeds are safest when considering positive health benefits. Moreover, these antioxidants fight free radicals and stop their production which is responsible for destroying cell molecules and are the reason behind aging and life-threatening diseases like cancer.
3. Increase Fiber Level – All in all, it is fiber even the carbs in chia seeds are fiber. Chia seeds contain almost 12 grams of fiber in one ounce that is 28 grams. Your body does not digest these carbs but however, they are also fiber as it does not affect you. It does not increase your blood sugar levels and thus prevents you from using insulin to decrease it. Although it has its owns health effects but despite being from the carbohydrate genre, they have some sort of different effects if we compare it to those of digestible carbs like sugar and starch. Chia seeds are health-friendly as they have a low carb percentage with only one gram per ounce. They are highly absorbing as they absorb almost 10-12 times more water than their own actual weight which makes them highly soluble fiber. If we consider this then it makes you feel full and makes you chew lesser calories. All in all, chia seeds are 40% fiber, and fiber is considered to be bacteria friendly to your intestine which eventually feeds bacteria and makes your gut healthy.
4. Rich in qualitative protein – They contain an observant amount of protein. According to their weight, they contain 14 percent protein which is comparably higher to that of other plants. Your body is able to react in a positive manner because of the great balance of essential amino acids present in them. As we all know protein is well known for its variety of health benefits. We already see gym freaks and lifestyle freaks consuming protein as an outer source, but consuming chia seeds already fulfills the need. Along with being healthy chia seeds are well known for weight loss-friendly nutrients. Many people wonder what they must consume which can make their balance, so chia seeds are one of them. When we consume so much protein it automatically makes you full by decreasing your appetite and by controlling your cravings up to 60 percent. It also helps you in controlling your tastebuds and before going to bed cravings up to 50%. (HEALTHLINE) chia seeds are the best source of protein, especially for the no animal product people.
5. Weight loss aid – Chia seeds have high fiber and protein content which helps in losing weight. It is also believed by health experts that chia seeds are an essential add-on to diet for weight loss. As it is soluble in nature, even after consuming them, it increases its size once gone inside your stomach by absorbing water which creates fullness automatically. Its protein value also helps in decreasing appetite. Consuming chia seeds as your first food early in the morning can help you in consuming way lesser than what you consume normally. In a very short period of time, you will observe these changes. Different people show different effects on their bodies. Don’t expect chia seeds to work on you without you being consistent about your workout and routine. While consuming chia seeds it is very important to bring changes in your lifestyle from sleeping to exercising to eating. When you perform all together with a good balance it does show adverse positive effects on your body.
6. High in OMEGA-3 fatty acids – Fish is the most common seafood well known for omega-3 fatty acids but unlike fish, chia seeds also contain a very high value of omega-3 fatty acid. Though they are not as essential and beneficial as other nutrients, they are an important part because they are mostly alpha-linolenic acid that helps in decreasing the risk of heart disease. The human body cannot convert them in active form, and this can be a problem. So, it is a must to make a good balance while consuming chia seeds.
7. Decreases the risk of heart disease – Fatty acids reduce the risk of heart disease, it is also said that chia seeds are beneficial in reducing belly fat, insulin resistance, inflammation, good HD cholesterol, etc. It is also well known for reducing high blood pressure thus improves heart health.
8. Provides bone nutrients – Apart from normal nutrients chia seeds also contain essential bone nutrients like calcium, magnesium, protein, and phosphorus. It contains 18 percent of RDI in an ounce that is 28 grams of calcium content which is quite high as compared to that of other dairy products. So, chia seeds are beneficial in providing bone health as well.
9. Decreases blood sugar levels – Today every other person is suffering from diabetes which if untreated as well as a symptom of high fasting blood sugar levels. Sugar is responsible for various chronic health diseases and the most common one is heart disease. Normal meals also spike the levels of sugar which is harmful. Animal study says that it is helpful in improving insulin sensitivity and human study says that consuming chia seeds with bread lowers the blood sugar level after eating.
10. Decreases chronic inflammation – After getting an injury we observe redness and swelling which is nothing but inflammation. It occurs as your body fights with bacteria and makes you heal from viruses and infections. At times it is harmful because too much inflammation is the reason behind heart disease and cancer. Too much inflammation never shows up with any sign of a symptom it can just be marked out through blood. Consuming a poor diet and smoking are the key factors that increase the chances of heart disease. A study found that eating 37 grams of chia seeds every day reduces inflammation by 40 percent.
11. Easy to add into the diet – The taste of chia seeds makes it an easy food to add into the diet every day. It tastes bland and is easier to prepare as it can also be consumed raw. It can also be consumed by adding to other food meals, soaking in juice, smoothies, baked food, and puddings. You can add them to rice, vegetables, water, and basically anything. As it has high nutritional value adding it to meals will automatically increase health benefits. You might have digestive side effects if you don’t consume a lot of fiber but eventually will get used to it. It is recommended to consume only 20 grams of chia seeds twice a day.
“HealthLink.news does not have any intention to provide specific medical advice, but rather to provide its users and/ or the general public with information to better understand their health. All content (including text, graphics, images, information, etc.) provided herein is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice, care, diagnosis, or treatment. HealthLink.news makes no representation and assumes no responsibility/ liability for the accuracy of the information, advice, diagnosis, treatment provided herein or on its website. NEVER DISREGARD PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE OR DELAY IN SEEKING TREATMENT BECAUSE OF SOMETHING YOU HAVE READ IT HERE OR ACCESSED THROUGH THE HealthLink.news WEBSITE.”