Today diabetes is one of the most common diseases that is diagnosed among quite many people, not only in India but also in some of the major parts of the world. It is such a disease that is linked to the high concentration of sugar levels in a person’s blood. But, if detected early and if diagnosed properly, then the disorder can be easily treated. Though health care experts might advise you to take up several types of medicines, or even insulin injections in severe cases, they might sometimes lead to adverse health effects. Thus, to avoid these side effects, we must look for procedures that will help us to get rid of or prevent diabetes and do so without the help of any medication. Some experts say that practicing exercise and maintaining a proper diet can help you to get rid of this disease. So, it is very important to know about the types of exercises you need to practice and which type of diet you must follow to prevent diseases like diabetes.
All About Diabetes?
Diabetes is a quite common disease that is clinically known as Diabetes mellitus, characterized by high levels of blood sugar. This disease leads to a consequent deficit in the amount of insulin hormone (a hormone produced by the pancreas) content in your body and increases glucose levels. If this condition is left undiagnosed for a long time, then there are chances of gradual damage to the neurological system, nerves in the brain, eyes, spinal cord, kidneys, and some of the other organs of the body.
Diabetes can be of several types. Some of them are listed below:
- Type 1 diabetes: this is a type of autoimmune disease where the immune system itself attacks and destroys the major parts of the organ known as the pancreas that secretes the insulin hormone.
- Type 2 diabetes: this type of diabetes is caused when the body builds up resistance against the insulin hormone and thus the level of glucose keeps on increasing in your blood.
- Pre-diabetes: this is another type of diabetes that occurs when the amount of blood sugar levels in your body is not in the condition of type 2 diabetes, but it is high enough that it has reached the previous stage of developing type 2 diabetes.
- Gestational diabetes: this type of diabetes is a special type of diabetes that mostly develops in pregnant women due to the sudden secretion of certain types of hormones from the placenta that reduces the proper synthesis of insulin hormone.
Exercises To Perform To Cure Diabetes:
To cure diabetes when it is at an early stage, one must practice exercises. These exercises are easy, simple, and quite effective. Some of those workout methods are listed here as follows:
1. Walking Regularly:
Walking is the simplest form of exercise that one can do to cure not only diabetes but any kind of disease. Those who do not have the time to go to the gym or cannot afford expensive workouts should start their exercises by walking. Start today for 30- minutes and then increase the duration gradually for 45- minutes and then to 60- minutes. Keep walking for one hour five days a week. This should be particularly done by those who have type 2 diabetes.
Another healthy exercise that is good for improving diabetic health is cycling every day. Studies and research suggest that those who have type 2 diabetes and arthritis should go cycling regularly. This is because diabetes can often damage nerves and muscles and thus can lead to pain in muscles, legs, joint pains, and conditions such as arthritis. Thus, it is quite important to go cycling to stay away from the adverse effects of diabetes.
It is quite important to perform aquatic exercises such as swimming. Swimming and other related aquatic aerobic exercises are not only good for your overall body but also relieve you from the adverse health effects caused by diabetes. It even provides support to your joints, and muscles, and keeps your heart healthy.
4. Yoga and Breathing Exercises:
Yoga and breathing exercises are particularly necessary to be performed by those who have type 2 diabetes. This is because, practicing different types of yoga and breathing exercises will not only mention the number of glucose levels in your blood but will also help to maintain your cholesterol levels, blood pressure levels, and body weight and reduce your risk of developing obesity.
Things To Follow While You Exercise:
When you are diabetic and practicing exercises, it is important to consult first with your concerned health care expert. You must first ask your doctor whether it is right for you to perform the exercises according to your current health condition, the types of diabetic medicines that you are taking, and the condition of diabetes in your body. While you are exercising, you should carry plenty of water (no glucose drink) along with some dry foods so that you do not become ill after performing the exercises. Try to have plenty of water after doing the exercises.
Diet To Follow If You Have Diabetes:
As suggested by many diabetologists, it has been found that healthy eating is the only way to take care of your health if you have diabetes. Some of those food components that you should be included and excluded in your diet are as follows:
- Have plenty of fresh fruits and green leafy vegetables.
- Eat both plant and animal protein.
- Choose foods with less added sugar.
- Exclude foods that are highly processed and packaged foods
- Avoid that are high in unhealthy fats such as trans fats.
1. Green Leafy Vegetables
Some studies and recent research are showing that if you have plenty of green, leafy vegetables you can help in reducing the levels of blood sugar levels in your body. The vegetables that you must include in your daily diet are kale, spinach, lettuce, parsley, cabbage, cauliflower, collard greens, broccoli, and so on.
2. Whole Grains
Whole grains are rich sources of fiber that not only help to keep you regular but also treat diabetes as foods with high fiber help to slow down the process of digestion, which leads to lower absorption of glucose inside your bloodstream. So, diabetic people should have whole grains such as rice, wheat, quinoa, rye, millet, and so on.
Beans are some of the food substances that are highly low in GI (Glycemic Index), which are considered the ideal food for diabetic people. Thus, people with diabetes should positively include different types of beans such as kidney beans, soybeans, pinto beans, black beans, and so on in their regular diet.
Fish are not only rich in protein, but they also help in lowering the levels of blood sugar in your body. Thus, diabetic patients should consider having fish like salmon, herring, mackerel, albacore tuna, sardines, trout, and so on.
Other Foods Substances To Be Included In The Diet:
Apart from the above-mentioned foods, there are some other foods that can be included in the diet of a diabetic patient. Some of them can be listed here as follows:
- Different types of nuts such as walnuts consist of high amounts rich in a type of omega-3 called alpha-lipoic acid.
- Berries such as raspberries, blueberries, blackberries, strawberries, and cranberries consist of vitamins such as vitamins C and K and minerals such as magnesium and potassium.
- Pro-biotic yogurt without sugar is a rich source of Lactobacillus or Bifidobacterium, a type of bacteria that is present in curd or yogurt that is essential for people with type 2 diabetes.
- Chia seeds consist of high amounts of powerful antioxidants and omega-3 substances.
- Citrus fruits such as lemons, oranges, and so on are rich in vitamin C.
Different Types Of Diet To Follow In Diabetes:
Besides including these food substances in your regular diet, a person with diabetes can also follow different types of diet to cure diabetes. Some such forms of diet are listed below:
- Keto diet
- Mediterranean diet
- Paleo diet
- Vegetarian or vegan diets
Foods To Avoid If You Have Diabetes
If you have diabetes, then you will have to exclude some foods from your daily diet. Though you might have them occasionally in limited amounts, they cannot be consumed regularly. Doctors mostly advise avoiding foods that are high in GI. This is because foods that are high in GI content can increase the amount of blood sugar and can worsen your health condition when you have diabetes. So, people who have diabetes must avoid consuming the following foods which are high in GI:
- puffed rice flattened rice, and steamed rice
- white pasta
- white potatoes
- white bread
- fruits such as pineapple, pumpkin, and melons
Disclaimer: “HealthLink.news does not have any intention to provide specific medical advice, but rather to provide its users and/ or the general public with information to better understand their health. All content (including text, graphics, images, information, etc.) provided herein is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice, care, diagnosis, or treatment. HealthLink.news makes no representation and assumes no responsibility/ liability for the accuracy of the information, advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided herein or on its website. NEVER DISREGARD PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE OR DELAY IN SEEKING TREATMENT BECAUSE OF SOMETHING YOU HAVE READ IT HERE OR ACCESSED THROUGH THE HealthLink.news WEBSITE.”